Monday, June 8, 2015

Vegan Orange Ginger Glazed Tofu

 

I love this dish! So good I almost ate the whole recipe in one seating.  I had something similar when I ate at the super buffet place in the Philippines, Banzai.  Instead of falling in love with all the delicious, exotic Asian food in this Japanese restaurant, this was the dish that I could not get off my mind.  I just had to have it when I arrived here in the States. 
 
Part of buffet offerings at Banzai, Manila, Philippines

I found this recipe in about.com.  The tofu took the place of chicken in a similar dish found in most Chinese restaurants.  I did not change anything in this excellent recipe except for the amount of ginger and cornstarch which I doubled.  I tell you non vegan guys,  you will not miss the chicken.  You will be hooked on tofu once you taste this.
 


Vegan Orange Ginger Glazed Tofu

(Adapted from about.com)

Ingredients

  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 block firm or extra-firm tofu, well pressed (see Note 1) and diced into cubes
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce (see note 2)
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 2 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup orange marmalade
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
  • 1/2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp water

1.  Saute the tofu and garlic in olive oil for 3-4 minutes, until the tofu is just lightly browned.

2.  In a bowl whisk together the soy sauce, orange juice, rice vinegar, marmalade and ginger.

3.  Add the sauce to the tofu and heat for 3-4 minutes with stirring so as to coat the tofu with the sauce.

4.  Add the cornstarch and water slurry to the tofu in the pan and allow the
mixture to boil until the sauce thickens.

5.  Serve over rice.  I suggest that you double the recipe.  This tofu with rice is so addictive you will be left with nothing to share with your loved ones.

Notes:

1. See a past blog post on two ways to press tofu. 

2. Though I used the 3 tbsps of soy sauce, I feel you can lower this amount to two tbsps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment