Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Fresh Spinach Dip


I had a bag of fresh spinach that I wanted to use before they got really soggy and inedible.  I also had this craving for some kind of dip that I could use with the mini Pretzel Crisps I bought from the McGinnis Specialty Store in Monroeville, Pa. 
                     

 
Here is the recipe I came up with using what I had in my pantry and refrigerator. The water chestnuts give the dip crunchiness while the green onions, Parmesan cheese, dried minced onions and garlic powder enhance its flavor without you having to use any dried soup mix which some recipes call for.

I happened to have a facial appointment right after I prepared this and I brought some to Diane, the facial technician at the Beautiful Image, to sample.  She loved it so much she just had to have the recipe right there and then before my facial.  You will adore it also.

Diane, wonderful facial technician, at the Beautiful Image.

Fresh Spinach Dip

Ingredients

1 9 oz bag fresh Spinach  (or you can also use 10 oz of frozen spinach thawed and liquid squeezed out)
1/3 cup chopped scallions (around 3 stalks)
1 8 oz can of chopped water chestnuts
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tbsp dried minced onions
2 tsp garlic powder
3 tbsp parmesan cheese
pepper and salt to taste

Instructions

Microwave the fresh spinach in a bowl for 3 minutes at high setting.  Squeeze out the water from the cooked spinach.  Add to the spinach the rest of the  ingredients.  Refrigerate for at least 3 hours for the flavors to blend.   It is also OK to eat it right away if you cannot wait like I did. 


No comments:

Post a Comment