Saturday, December 13, 2014

A Time for Everything

Image from http://www.socialknx.com/tis-season-using-social-media/


I fell in love with Ecclesiastes 3 (shown below) when I heard a gifted lector beautifully read it during Mass at the St. Thomas More Parish at the IUP campus. I have never before experienced a reading done with appropriate pauses between lines that gave the listeners time to assimilate their meaning.  I was totally mesmerized as the lector also read every line with such mindfulness similar to one singing a song with feelings. When I thanked the lector after Mass for the beautifully done reading, I asked her how she does such a wonderful job. She answered that she just tries to not get in the way of what the reading is conveying. It is such a gift. It is too bad I never got her name but anyway thank you.
Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything
3 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

I have been waiting for a good occasion to use this reading (Ecclesiastes 3). Well the time is now, namely as I am retiring from IUP after this semester and embarking on new endeavours and interests.   I am looking forward to what is to come and the surprises it would bring with a lot of joy and excitement. I would admit though that I also feel at the same time a tinge of sadness over what I am leaving behind and some anxiety whether I can handle the big changes ahead.   I will always remember through this process of adjustment what Fr. Alan said in his short but captivating sermon on this reading in the same mass.  He assured us that Christ is the constant in every turn in the cycle of life.  We should have no fear.  He will take care of us in every change of seasons that we find ourselves in. 

The words incidentally were used verbatim with some changes in the order of the verses in the famous song, "Turn, Turn, Turn", by the popular group in the 1960"s The Byrds as Fr. Alan pointed out during his sermon. Directly below is one of several videos found in YouTube on the rendition of Turn, Turn, Turn by the Byrds.  This version features adorable and at times humorous images to reflect on that contrast with some of the serious, sombre messages.  Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment