Saturday, December 27, 2014

Slow Cooker Easy Pork Asado



The tender, succulent pork is enveloped in a tomatoey sauce made from just two essential ingredients namely, catsup and fresh or dry minced onions.  Of course you will need salt and pepper.

I have suggested the optional addition of pickle juice also. My sister-in-law,  Pinky, who is married to my brother, Benjie, and who is an excellent cook, gave me this idea decades ago.  I would also add two optional ingredients, bay leaf and peppercorn to achieve the traditional asado taste Filipinos are used to.  However, the two essential ingredients are sufficient to achieve that rich, addictive taste if you are in a pinch and do not have the other optional ingredients. Catsup is already highly flavored you really do not need any other embellishments. You will find yourself going to your fridge for this dish leftovers if any and putting them over rice.  It is that haunting.


Left to right, Pinky, Benjie, myself, Benjo. In front is Gelay.

Slow Cooker Easy Pork Asado


Ingredients:

  • 3 lbs pork (I used pork butt already sliced)
  • 3/4 cup catsup
  • 3 tbsp dry minced onion or 1 medium onion chopped
  • 6 tbsp pickle juice, optional
  • 1 bay leaf, optional
  • 2 tsps peppercorn, optional
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 tbsps water
Mix all the ingredients in the bowl of the slow cooker.  Cook for 8 hours at low or 4 hours at high setting.  I used an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker where I cooked the mixture for 2 hours at slow cook setting. Serve with rice or wide egg noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment