Sunday, May 31, 2015

Slow Cooker Easy Beef Chicken Noodle Soup

 
This is a hearty soup that is based on the Crockpot Wedding Soup recipe I found online.   I modified the recipe into its present form which turned into an easy and delicious beef chicken noodle soup loaded with carrots, celery and pasta.  I utilized two things that are always in my freezer:  frozen beef meatballs and frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  The two vegetables I used, carrots and celery,  were also ones I usually have since they could keep for weeks in the vegetable crisper.  I ditched using spinach since I did not have it or else this would have been wedding soup.  One can use any pasta and I opted for medium shells. 
 
This is a very flexible recipe which makes it a convenient and easy one.  The parmesan cheese is what I consider an essential part of the soup that gives it that especial taste that distinguishes it from just the usual chicken noodle soup.
 
I served this on Wednesday for my prayer group who I invited after the meeting to celebrate with me my birthday and retirement from teaching.  I served two soups and two salads plus desserts I bought at the Sisters of St. Joseph Auxiliary luncheon weeks before that which I froze for this occasion.  Congratulate me for not eating them at all before this affair. 
 
 
This cute hat was lent to me by Linda's husband, Stan, who insisted that she brings it to the party. He recently retired himself. 
 




  

  


I am wearing the apron given by Linda who is beside me on right.  Emma looks on.

One of the gifts that Mary Cay gave me related to teaching which I retired from. 
 
Rose, Marie, Kathy and Mary Cay.
 
Mary Cay, Emma, Linda, Dot and Sue.  Dot is trying to make music with the spoon chimes gift from Sue.  The enpty seat was occupied by Elaine.



Slow Cooker Easy Beef Chicken Noodle Soup     

Ingredients

  • 1 lb meatballs (I used frozen ones)
  • 8 cups chicken broth
  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts or 1 cup cooked chicken 
  • 3-4 carrots, sliced into coins
  • 3-4 ribs celery, sliced bias cut to 1/2 inch pieces
  • garlic powder to taste
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup cooked small or medium shell pasta
1.  If using frozen large meatballs, thaw in the microwave for 1 minute so you can cut it into smaller pieces.  If using small ones use as is.

2.  Place the meatballs and the rest of the ingredients except the pasta in the slow cooker and cook for 6 hours at low or 3 hours at high.  I used an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker and cooked the soup for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.

3.  Add the cooked pasta to the soup at the end of cooking.  Shred the chicken breast before serving.  Enjoy this delicious, hearty soup with crackers or bread with a side salad. 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment