Sunday, April 22, 2018

Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala




I was in the middle of my Tai Chi class when this craving for Indian food hit me. I had an hour or so to kill before a talk I wanted to attend at our library so I went to India Garden to satisfy my yearning with their buffet offerings. 

The next day I decided to make my own Tikka Masala. I have a recipe in this blog that I used. It did not disappoint. I did have another recipe in a past blog I could have also used but it called for garam masala which I did not have.

The dish was creamy and with just the right amount of heat. It has all the flavor I expected from a good Tikka Masala. All the spices blended and cooking it in the slow cooker made it an easy fare to prepare. Have plenty of rice and do not miss the cilantro on top. So, so addictive.


Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala


Inspired by this recipe


  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp ground cardamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
  • 1/8 tsp turmeric 
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • juice and zest of 1 lime
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk from a can
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch 
  • 1-12 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 tbsp Sriracha
  • 1 chicken bouillon cube
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
  • black pepper to taste
  • 3 lb chicken thighs
  • 1 bunch of cilantro

Mix all the ingredients except the chicken and cilantro in the crock pot. Place the chicken on top of sauce and mix.

Cook for 3 hours on high setting or 6 hours on low. I cooked in an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.

Serve over rice topped with cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment