Thursday, August 9, 2018

Slow Cooker Fried Chicken



Can you really prepare fried chicken in the slow cooker, I had always wondered? Will I be happy with the result?  I researched the internet of ways to do it and settled on following  the one on this site. I did some tweaking as usual and here is the recipe.

The verdict: the result is very close to oven baked chicken that has been breaded. I did not use butter to drizzle over the top before cooking that would have made the coating crisper. It still tasted good, thanks to the seasoned salt that was sprinkled on top before cooking. I looked at the ingredients of this type of salt and I did not see MSG listed as one of them to my relief.

My husband gave this two thumb up. So there you are. You can indeed prepare fried chicken in the slow cooker and be happy with the result.

Slow Cooker Fried Chicken

Adapted from this site.
  • 8 chicken legs or 3 six oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 egg
  • 1\4 cup milk with 1 tsp vinegar or buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 1/2 tsp each black pepper, coriander, cumin, garlic powder, salt
  • Seasoned salt to taste
Spray the crockpot bowl with cooking spray. 

Whisk the egg and milk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow container mix the flour and spices except seasoned salt and in another place the Panko crumbs.

Dip the chicken pieces one at a time in the egg milk mixture, then the flour spice mixture, then the egg mixture again Then dredge the chicken in Panko crumbs.

Place the chicken in the slow cooker  side by side and  sprinkle with seasoned salt to taste.

Slow cook for three to four hours at high setting. I used a Crock Pot brand slow cooker  casserole.



No comments:

Post a Comment