Thursday, October 17, 2019

Instant Pot Chicken Alexander






This recipe was inspired by the one my sister, Bebeng, made for her daughter's 50th birthday party. She concocted the recipe as an alternative to chicken ala king when she had her catering business decades ago in the Philippines.  It became an instant hit with her customers.

Bebeng's yummy chicken Alexander.

My sister made it using the stove top by first boiling the chicken thighs followed by making the sauce separately then adding the shredded chicken and peas to it. I decided to use my new Instant Pot to make my version of this delicious dish.  This is actually my first one to cook using this new cooking toy of mine. I thank my other sister Menchie for showing me and Bebeng how to use it when we cooked beef mechado for the party. This experience helped me overcome my fear of using my new cooking gadget.

What makes this especially good is the addition of the magic seasoning sauce, Maggi, which is available in any grocery store. It gives any dish that umami flavor above what soy sauce or Worcestershire could. Its use started in Europe and became widespread all over the world including the Philippines. I remember as a child it being added to many dishes in our kitchen. If we wanted something to be extra good, we used it to create its magic with our food.



This is an easy delicious recipe whether you use the stove top or Instant Pot.  Make your version today.



my sister Bebeng and her husband, Jun, at the background.

From left to right, Bebeng, myself and Menchie. On the right is the Instant Pot we practiced on cooking Beef Mechado.



The three dishes Bebeng prepared for the party, Sotanghon, Beef Mechado and Chicken Alexander.


Instant Pot Chicken Alexander

Recipe courtesy of my sister, Bebeng


  • 3 -5 lbs chicken thighs or breasts
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 -14 oz can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1-14 oz can cream style sweet corn
  • 1  tbsp Maggi Sauce (or to taste)
  • 1\2 cup broth
  • 1 bag frozen green peas or mixed vegetables or other vegetables you like



Combine all the ingredients except the vegetables in the Instant Pot and cook using manual setting at high pressure normal for five minutes. Add the frozen vegetables after the end of cooking using the residual heat of the Instant Pot or use the saute mode to cook them. You can cut the chicken into small pieces if you like after cooking. Serve over rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.



No comments:

Post a Comment