Thursday, October 30, 2014

Homemade Almond Joy in Reeses Cup




Sometimes you not only want to be a nut but also everything else including a reeses peanut butter cup.  If you have a craving for everything else in the halloween candy list this is the recipe for you. 

The filling was inspired by the Detoxinista website recipe for No Bake Almond Joy Bars (vegan, paleo) while the Reese chocolate cup approach came from Chocolate Covered Katie's recipe for Cheese Cake Stuffed Chocolate Cups.  When I saw the latter recipe, I really did not feel for a cheese cake filling but something else.  I figured out what it was I was craving for while l was driving home from work.  I want the coconut filling found in almond joy including the almond in the center. 

I googled for a homemade almond joy recipe and found the vegan, no bake recipe in the wonderful health conscious Detoxinista website.  I also do want the taste of reeses cups, so I opted for peanut butter and milk chocolate chips to make the cups instead of the dark chocolate the two websites used.  If you are a vegan, just use dark chocolate chips.

Here is my version of the two recipes I adapted to satisfy a craving for two popular Halloween candies.

Homemade Almond Joy in Reeses Cup


(Adapted from The Detoxinista No Bake Almond Joy Bars (vegan, paleo) and Chocolate Covered Katie Cheese Cake Stuffed Chocolate Cups)

Ingredients:


  • 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut (unsweetened is preferred)
  • 1 and 1/2 tablespoons agave liquid sweetener or maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon coconut butter or oil (I used coconut butter)
  • 1/2 tablespoon water
  • 4 tbsps peanut butter and milk chocolate chips
  • mini cupcake paper liners
  • 8 almonds
  • 2 tbsps more peanut butter and milk chocolate chips

For the filling, thoroughly combine the first four ingredients in a bowl with a fork.  Set aside,

Melt 4 tbsps of peanut butter and milk chocolate chips.  (I melted mine in the microwave in the melt butter setting for two servings).  Place around 1 tsp of the melted chips in the cupcake liner covering the bottom and along the sides.  I was able to fill 7-8 cupcake liners.  Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.

Fill the hardened peanut butter chocolate cups with around 1 tsp of the filling and place a whole almond piece in the middle.  Cover each cup with the melted 2 tbsps more peanut butter and milk chocolate chips. 

Place the Homemade Almond Joy in Reeses Cups in the freezer to harden for 15 minutes.  Peel off the paper liner and enjoy.  (I have to confess I ate 6 at one time so please be warned).






No comments:

Post a Comment