Sunday, September 18, 2016

Easy Slow Cooker Chicken with Gravy (with No Canned Soup)



I recently had turkey with mashed potatoes and bread stuffing plus delicious gravy at the recent Golden Jubilee celebration of the Sisters of St. Joseph at Baden PA.  The wonderful taste of the turkey with all the trimmings just lingered with me.  But I did not have turkey though.  So I decided to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.  I also used my crock pot since my schedule was full that day.  I actually used the crock pot too for the mashed potatoes.  The stuffing I zapped in the microwave while I added the carrots to the chicken in the crock pot. Note I did not use any canned mushroom soup at all as most crock pot recipes in the web do. You can control the saltiness etc this way.

I prepared this for my daughter Bettina's belated birthday celebration. I had the chicken with gravy and all the trimmings including mashed potatoes and bread stuffing as sides.  I even had a birthday cake which Maddie my grandmother could hardly wait to eat as shown in the photo below as she sang happy birthday wishes to her Aunt B.

                                                        

Easy Slow Cooker Chicken with Gravy (with No Canned Soup)

  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 4 tbsp dry onion flakes
  • 2 cups water 
  • 2 chicken bouillon
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1-4 oz can mushroom slices, undrained
  • 3 lbs boneless chicken thighs or breasts
  • 2 cups baby carrots (optional)
  • salt and more garlic powder to taste if desired 
Mix all the ingredients in the slow cooker bowl except for the mushroom slices, chicken pieces and carrots . Then add the mushroom slices, chicken pieces and carrots if using on top of the sauce.

Slow cook for 3 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low.  I cooked mine in an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting. At the end you can add more salt and more garlic powder to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment