Sunday, October 2, 2016

Microwave Skinny Cookies



I recently visited my niece, Gia, and her family, in Canada and she brought us to Kelly's Bake Shoppe. Their most popular cookies are the so called Skinny Cookies.  Our gracious and resourceful hostess Gia had to research the recipe since their cookbook did not feature this.  She came upon this recipe from the web. She was preparing a batch before we left and I was convincing her they can be baked in the microwave. Thus I was challenged to prove it to her and came up with my own adapted recipe.












Austin, Dion, Gia and Rayshawn at the Botanical Garden, Ontario, Canada



I did tweak the recipe with several substitutions among which is swapping flour and coconut flakes for the oatmeal since I am allergic to the latter if I ingest a large amount. (and who can resist cookies with chocolate chips!).  The cookies are called Skinny Cookies since no sugar or butter or eggs or dairy are added to the batter.  To make it gluten free, stay with the use of oatmeal or use gluten free flour.  BTW my picky taster, my husband, gave the cookies two thumbs up.  It was that good, he ate one of four while I could not resist finishing the rest. Tsk, tsk.

Microwave Skinny Cookies

4 large cookies
  • 1 banana
  • 1/4 cup flour (or 1/2 cup oatmeal or gluten free flour)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup coconut
  • 2 tbsp non dairy milk
  • 1 tbsp chocolate chips 
  • 1 tbsp raisins 
  • 1 tbsp nuts
Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl.  Place them in four round shapes into a microwave safe plate with space between them and the center of the plate empty.  Microwave for four minutes. (I used a 1100 W oven).

Here are the nutrition facts to prove that it is skinny and healthy.  Just use moderation and not eat all in one seating like I did.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 49 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
97
Calories from Fat
32
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
3.6g
6%
Saturated Fat
1.9g
10%
Cholesterol
1mg
0%
Sodium
19mg
1%
Potassium
264mg
8%
Total Carbohydrates
15.4g
5%
Dietary Fiber
2.1g
8%
Sugars
5.7g
Protein
2.2g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 6%Iron 7%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points
Bad points



No comments:

Post a Comment