Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Onion Pepper Cranberry Relish


My daughter gave me a box of  Harry and David's variety of food goodies which included a bottle of onion pepper relish. I loved it and just decided I got to make something similar. I usually try to use what I have in my pantry full of canned foods from Aldis grocery store. For that piquant sweet taste I added to the list of ingredients written on the label of the bottle, whole berry cranberries from a can. I also felt the need to add orange marmalade.

I mixed all the ingredients and hoped to eat as is as most relishes and it was good but I decided to slow cook the ingredients to better come up with the consistency and taste of the bottle of onion and pepper relish from Harry and David's.  The slow cooking did mellow the onions and gave the thick consistency with the addition of cornstarch.

Relish without being slow cooked.


It has its own personality and not a twin of what I was copying but it is just as good. It has the characteristic spiciness complemented by some sweetness. Heaven on anything you put it in.

Onion Pepper Cranberry Relish

  • 1-14 oz can whole berry cranberry
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 3 tbsp chopped jalapeno from a bottle
  • 1 tbsp orange marmalade
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch in 4 tbsp water
Add all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook for 6 hours at low or three hours at high setting.  I cooked mine for two hours in an Aroma brand rice cooker /slow cooker at slow cooker setting.

Serve as a dip for chips or vegetables or as a relish for your Christmas ham or New Year's Eve roast or even fish or seafood. I almost forgot also add as relish for your hot dogs and burgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment