Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Spicy Tofu




I just came back from a visit to the Big Apple staying close to Time Square. Despite being already there we just soaked in the excitement and chickened out of witnessing the ball drop at Time Square. We were kept busy figuring out subway routes and walking all over I do not think we would have had the stamina and controlled bladder to wait for that ball drop as a couple millions did.






We went to innumerable shows and a couple of operas. We saw two ultra irreverent Broadway plays Rotten Something and the Book of Mormon and the sweet touching story of Carole King, The Beautiful. We saw two operas, Nabucco and Romeo and Juliet which were both wonderful according to my husband and which I missed despite being physically there. I was too tired I slept through both of them. 








We ate at several places, fancy or otherwise. No I never slept through them. I tried to eat plant based whenever I could and usually most restaurants would offer tofu to satisfy vegans. Some of the tofu dishes I ate were so so but one was haunting, namely the Spicy Tofu I ate it at the Pittsburgh International Airport.

I just had to have it when I came home. I luckily found a recipe for a marinade for spicy tofu in this site.  I used an adapted version for this dish I had developed a craving for. The site used the marinade to ultimately barbecue the tofu but I skipped the marination and grilling and used the marinade instead as the sauce for this stir fry version. Oh my. Irresistible.

Spicy Tofu

Adapted from this site
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce. 
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar. 
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons mirin 
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger. 
  • 1 teaspoon Asian chili paste or cayenne
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil.
  • 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 block (12 - 14 oz) firm tofu, cut into one inch cubed
  • 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, steamed in microwave

Mix all the ingredients except the tofu and vegetables in a saute pan. Allow the mixture to boil gently and then add the tofu.  Stir carefully at low heat till the tofu absorb marinade. Add the vegetables and stir carefully till the vegetables are heated through.

Serve over rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment