Monday, September 29, 2014

Healthier Peanut Butter Fudge


I always wanted a healthier version of the Peanut Butter Fudge I posted in this blog, Joe's Microwaved Peanut Butter Fudge.  The Healthy Peanut Butter Fudge made of peanut butter and bananas in Chocolate Covered Katie's blog is to die for and really looks like any peanut butter fudge.  However it needs refrigeration.  Katie inspired me to find one which has a good shelf life when she asked commentators to find a modification to meet this challenge. 

I found this Vegan and Flourless Peanut Butter Fudge recipe in The Sweet Tooth Life which incidentally has beautiful pictures of the finished product unlike the "rustic one" I have.  However, I decided to skip the chocolate in the fudge so I can eat this at night.  Chocolates tend to keep me awake.  I also did not use the chocolate topping which has coconut oil which will entail refrigeration of the finish product just like Katie's recipe.  I tried to marry the two recipes by adding bananas to the one in The Sweet Tooth Life but I prefer to stick to its original recipe without it. (Update:  I just posted the version with bananas in this blog as requested by my friend Melanie.  The are called Banana Peanut Butter Fudge). 

This is very delicious and will satisfy anybody's sweet tooth.  For me who is a diabetic following Dr. Fuhrman's G-BOMBS diet, this is a gift of a recipe since it fulfills two of the components, beans and seeds or nuts.

Healthier Peanut Butter Fudge


(Adapted from The Sweet Tooth Life)

Ingredients:


  • 1/2 cup canned Northern White Beans (or other type of beans)
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
  • 1/8 tsp each baking powder, baking soda and salt

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Rinse and drain the beans.
  3. Use a good blender or food processor to mash the beans till smooth. 
  4. Add the honey and blend again,
  5. Add the peanut butter and just pulse to blend.
  6. Remove the blade and add the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  7. Transfer to a greased loaf pan or better yet a small pan with lower edges.
  8. Bake at 350 for 15  minutes or till the toothpick comes out clean. 
  9. Cool in the refrigerator first before cutting.  Note it is still fragile so it is preferrable that you store them in plastic containers instead of baggies when storing or during transport.

·       

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to try new recipes in my slow cooker this Fall. I love how the sweet potatoes collapse a bit into the stew in this recipe. I'm bookmarking. Pickup Lines Google Gravity Tricks I love you quotes Good Night Quotes

    ReplyDelete