Saturday, September 27, 2014

Low Fat Yogurt Almond Flavored Panna Cotta


When we eat out  I always ask for Panna Cotta at the end of the meal but I usually do not get my wish.  I was so happy that Olive Garden was serving it last Sunday when my husband and I ate there.  They are including this in their dessert line-up for a limited time.

Panna Cotta is traditionally made with heavy cream but I wanted a low fat version. I surfed the internet and found several  websites which use low fat yogurt.  One combined it with buttermilk while another with low fat evaporated milk.   I love the flavor of Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla Yogurt so I used that instead of the Greek yogurt suggested in one of the internet recipes.  I also just used 2 % milk instead of buttermilk or low fat evaporated milk suggested in the recipes I found. 

I did have problems making the Panna Cotta gel or solidify using the first internet source I followed.  Luckily I found David Lebovitz website's recipe for the Perfect Panna Cotta based on Judy Witts' cookbook.  I followed the procedure found in this recipe and I successfully made Panna Cotta that solidify for easy unmolding to a dish. I made it substituting 2 % milk for the cream for one batch while I used used low fat yogurt and 2 % milk for another batch. The recipe for the latter is in this post.  I also added almond extract aside from vanilla for added flavor.

This recipe has a wonderful refreshing tangy taste that goes very well with fruit toppings.  I just used frozen fresh strawberries which I macerated in a little Splenda or sugar.

Low Fat Yogurt Almond Flavored Panna Cotta

(Adapted from the food.com internet website and David Lebovitz' website )

Ingredients:


  • 1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
  • 3 tbsp cold water
  • 1 cup 2 % milk
  • 1/2 cup Splenda or sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 1 cup low fat yogurt (plain or vanilla flavored or your preferred flavor)

Instructions:


  1. Sprinkle the gelatin over cold water in a medium-sized bowl and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
  2. Stir the milk and sugar in a glass container with a spout if possible and microwave for 1 - 2 minutes depending on the wattage of your microwave oven.  It should be very warm not boiling.  When the mixture has warmed, add the vanilla and almond extracts.
  3. Gradually add the very warm milk mixture to the gelatin with constant stirring with a whisk until all the ingredients are well blended. 
  4. Add the yogurt to the milk and gelatin mixture.
  5. Divide the Panna Cotta equally to lightly greased cups (or ramekins or wine or parfait glasses).  I used Pam spray but removed any excess with a paper towel.
  6. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.  If you are in a hurry you can chill the Panna Cotta first in the freezer for 20 minutes then transfer to the refrigerator for the rest of the chilling period.
  7. Transfer to a plate and garnish with fruit or honey or syrup.  If using a wine or parfait glasses you can leave the Panna Cotta in these containers and garnish with fruit or any other topping.


1 comment:

  1. "I made this last night and it was delicious! I used almond milk instead of soy and I used zucchini noodles instead of ramen. I love love love miso soup so it’s nice to have another way to make it! Techlazy.com Crazyask.com Howmate.com

    ReplyDelete