Friday, July 31, 2015

Butterscotch Chip Cookie Cake with Low Fat and Low Carb Cream Cheese Frosting






I prepared this Butterscotch Chip Cookie Cake for my granddaughter Maddie's friends at the daycare she goes to.  Yesterday was really Maddie's 2nd birthday but we celebrated her birthday early last Sunday. We had a delicious beautiful cake from Giant Eagle.  I used the figures in this cake and copied the scene to show off the three characters from Sesame Street which Maddie loves when I prepared this cookie cake. 

I have prepared a cookie cake before using the famous Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe which included oatmeal.  I decided to look for a simpler recipe without it just in case one of the children might be allergic to oatmeal.  I also avoided using peanut butter and any kind of nuts.  

I used a recipe from Savory Sweet Life and substituted butterscotch chips in the recipe since I ran out of semi-sweet chocolate chips.  I did have dark chocolate but I thought that might be too bitter for the children's taste.

For the icing to spread for the background, I used  Low Fat Low Carb Cream Cheese Frosting.  It worked well.  For the message I used icing in tubes to write it out.

If I were to do this again, I would not use all the batter for a cleaner look.  Some baked on the sides.  I would place just enough batter so as not to reach the top of the rim of the pan. 

All the kids ate the cookie cake with gusto.  Maddie loved it and could hardly wait to eat it.

Here is how it looks without the frosting and decorations.  Pretty uninteresting but can be used as is.  Actually when serving to children, icings I found can be challenging to clean from their faces and hands.  Perhaps skipping it is better. 


Voila the magic of color and visual figures.  I used icing in tubes to write the message and it was running out and also due to unsteady hands the words came not so clearly but what the heck I tried.




Maddie proudly poses infront of her B-day cake.

Her mom dressed her to the hilt in this beautiful dress.  I love it.

Maddie almost done with her piece.

Butterscotch Chip Cookie Cake with Low Fat and Carb Cream Cheese Frosting 

(Adapted from Savory Sweet Life)

30 servings




  • 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1½ cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2¾ cups (12 oz) all-purpose flour
  • ¾ tsp. coarse sea salt or 1/2 tsp table salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1½ tsp. baking powder
  • 1-12 oz bag butterscotch chips


  • 1.  Preheat the oven to 360 degrees.
    2.  Cream the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until nice fluffy for approximately three minutes on medium high speed in an electric mixer. 
    3.  Add both eggs and vanilla and beat for an additional 2 minutes.
    4. Mix the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour in a small bowl and add the mixture to the cookie batter until fully incorporated.
    5. Add the buttterscotch chips until well distributed. The cookie batter should be somewhat thick.
    6.  Fill a non stick 15 x 10 cookie sheet or a round pizza pan with just enough batter to fill the sheet below the edge of the pan. (Important note)  What ever size of cookie sheet you use, do not fill it up to the edge since two things can happen, it can overflow or it would bake up to the side of the very top of the pan which is not too visibly pretty.  I have read some people prefer to use a 13 x 9 rectangular pan but I like the look of the cake on a cookie sheet.
    7.  Bake for 20 minutes.  I prefer to leave the cookie cake in the cookie sheet pan and decorate the cooled cake while in it for ease of transport. 
    8.  Cool and ice with the Low Fat and Low Carb Cream Cheese Frosting the recipe of which is shown below.

    Note nutrition facts below are for the cookie cake without frosting.


    Low Fat and Low Carb Cream Cheese Frosting


    30 servings

    • 1 - 8 oz package low-fat cream cheese softened
    • 6 tbsps light Smart Balance spread
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1 (or 2) cup Splenda sugar substitute (I used 1 cup only)
    Mix the ingredients thoroughly. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment