Thursday, July 30, 2015

Slow Cooker Four Ingredient Rosemary Lemon Chicken







I decided to start a small herb garden in flower beds in our deck.  One of the herbs I bought is a small pot of rosemary.  I also bought two kinds of mint, oregano, basil and lavender.  This is my first time to grow them outside and I am very excited to see if I can make them flourish.  Once before I remember keeping small pots of basil and rosemary inside the house, but we forgot to water them  and they just withered and died.  Tsk tsk. 

I am thinking that one way to keep me enthused in taking care of my mini herbal garden is to actually use them in my cooking.  This dish is my attempt to use rosemary straight from its mini pot. 

I have made a similar recipe for rosemary lemon chicken in the past but the recipe employed almost a cup of olive oil and the chicken was baked.  I decided to try cooking the chicken breast without the olive oil and in the convenient slow cooker.  My husband and I are into eating healthier these days. 

My picky husband actually liked the simply prepared dish which called for only 4 main ingredients.  He just wanted more salt on the chicken.  I am watching my salt being a diabetic so I prefer the seasoning with salt according to taste.  Serving the dish with the sea salt and pepper on the side or seasoning the chicken after slow cooking them if serving buffet style can solve the dilemma of pleasing everyone's taste for salt.

Here is a very simple, four main ingredient dish packed with flavor and good for you. 


 

Slow Cooker Four Ingredient Rosemary Lemon Chicken

4 servings

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • Zest of one lemon
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 1 tsp. pepper (more on the side upon serving)
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt (more on the side upon serving)

1.  Whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper.  Place in the slow cooker.  Place the chicken breasts on top. 

2.  Cook in the slow cooker for 3 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low.  I cooked mine in an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.

3.  Serve with sides of pepper and salt to sprinkle on top of the chicken according to taste.  Or you can also season the chicken directly with salt and pepper before serving.  You can serve this with rice or mashed potatoes or pasta.  Enjoy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment