Friday, July 31, 2015

Slow Cooker Hoisin Glazed Meatballs




There are times when we crave something from our favorite Chinese take out place.  Of course we can always hit our favorite all you can eat Chinese buffet also.  But who wants to dress up for that.  Here is what I do when I just have to have my Chinese food fix in a convenient way.  I rely on my frozen meat balls and the combination of bottled sauces and condiments in my fridge and pantry.  I almost forgot to mention I added one green pepper chopped to increase the nutrition value of the dish plus texture. 
I am presenting to you two ways I fixed my cravings through one slow cooker recipe.  One way is to use the hoisin glazed meatballs straight as an appetizer and the second is serving them over Ramen noodles and steamed vegetables. I had both for lunch and I can go on with my life now.  Life is good.

Here is how I prepared this simple but amazing recipe using the wonderful slow cooker

 

Slow Cooker Hoisin Glazed Meatballs

12 servings (2 large meatballs or 4 small ones per serving)
  • 24 frozen cooked large meatballs or 48 small ones (or your own recipe)
  • 3/4 cup hoisin sauce (from a bottle)
  • 1/2 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/2 cup apricot preserves (I used sugar free one)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/8 to1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 green pepper, chopped (optional)
Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker and mix them thoroughly.  Cook for 3 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low.  I used an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker where I cooked the mixture for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.
You can use the cooked meatballs as is as an appetizer.  You can also serve it over Ramen noodles with steamed vegetables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment