Monday, December 19, 2016

Slow Cooker Balsamic Soy Chicken and Mushrooms


This is an easy dish to prepare for a busy day. It is full of flavor with the hint of sweetness from the balsamic vinegar blending with the saltiness of the soy sauce and the acidity of the vinegar itself.  The cremini mushrooms add elegance to the dish and added earthy flavor.  My picky taster, my husband, gave it a thumbs up. I almost ate the whole thing since the sauce is addictive and had that taste of wine which actually came from the balsamic vinegar. It has that touch of sophisticated French cuisine in it.

I served this with brussel sprouts I cooked in the same crock pot which however I did not show in the pictures.
I have decided to give my meat eating husband more vegetables as much as possible. I would microwave this vegetable separately next time since it imparted a kind of a tinge of bitter taste to the sauce.

I served this over Ramen noodles I cooked in the microwave with water and without the flavor packet. Egg noodles would be an excellent alternative. Crusty bread and romaine lettuce with caesar dressing would transform this dish to an elegant meal.

Slow Cooker Balsamic Soy Chicken and Mushrooms

  • 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breast
  • 8 oz cremini mushrooms. cut in half
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp dry thyme
  • pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch in 4 tbsp water
Add all the ingredients in the crock pot. Cook for 3 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low setting.  I cooked mine for 2 hours in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker using slow cooker setting.

Serve over noodles or rice or with crusty bread.  I served this over Ramen noodles without the flavor packet which I cooked in the microwave in a small bowl with some water for five minutes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment