Sunday, October 1, 2017

Carrot Apple Raisin Salad

This side dish or dessert is inspired by the Jewish dish called Charoset which I had during the Seder Meal during Holy Week at my church.  The one who prepared it gave me the recipe but I could not find it. So I googled what I thought were the ingredients and came up with this source which had a recipe for Carrot Apple Salad with Raisin Nuts and Honey. I prepared the dish according to the direction of the recipe except for substituting maple syrup for honey since I would like it to be a vegan dish.

When I brought it to my Plant Based Group a member suggested that I add wine and vanilla and eliminate the maple syrup and lemon juice.  The final recipe below is a result of that suggestion. I kept the lemon juice, eliminated the maple syrup and added the wine and vanilla.  I am glad I heeded the advice because the salad was brought to a new level.  I understand Charoset is not customarily made with carrots but I wanted a carrot filled version for bulk, fiber and crunch.

Carrot Apple Raisin Salad 

Adapted from this source

  • 1/2 lb baby carrots
  • 2 apples, cored and quartered
  • 1/4 cup walnuts
  • 1/4-1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup wine 
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
Add the carrots, apples and walnuts in a blender and pulse till they are in small pieces but not pulverized.  

Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients and mix.



No comments:

Post a Comment