Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Easy Ramen Shrimp Vegetable Bowl




When I want a quick noodle dish to comfort me, I resort to using instant Ramen noodles that come in packages for a quarter or so. I do skip using the dry soup flavoring packet that comes with it but I have to confess on some occasions I have succumbed to utilizing it when I wanted a sure proof flavored Ramen dish. How can one beat salt and MSG to satisfy who you are feeding?
Update: some ramen brand seasoning do not have MSG.

Before I get to the recipe in this blogpost, I would like to mention the book Prison Ramen. It is a book written by a former prison inmate with his friend that gives a glimpse of prison life while providing us the creative ways a prisoner like him use instant Ramen with whatever available staples their situation allows. For example in one dish he added orange flavored kool aid and pork rind to his Ramen concoction. Necessity is indeed the mother of invention.

In my case, it is convenience and laziness that move me to use Ramen noodles in many ways. I am grateful I have fresh vegetables in my fridge and a freezer where I store frozen shrimp. This Ramen dish can either be a soup or a stir fry noodle dish. No flavoring packet is used but instead vegetable broth is resorted to for flavor together with what the shrimp and vegetables impart.

Part of this recipe is very similar to this past blogpost on Mixed Vegetable Shrimp Delight.  I simplified the stir fry step by skipping the sauteing of garlic and onions in oil and just used dry onion flakes and dry garlic flakes.  I cooked three vegetables with the vegetable broth and added the shrimp in the shell with it later. You can use other vegetables like green beans and zucchini also as well any meat either fresh or cooked in this flexible and easy dish.

I prefer to cook my Ramen in the microwave so I do not over cook it.  I submitted a Ramen dish , Thai Hot and Sour Soup with Ramen Noodles, in a soup contest and one judge made a comment my noodles was overcooked.  In this particular recipe I submitted, I cooked the noodles with the other ingredients thus rendering it soggy. It would have been better if I had the Ramen noodles on the side.  I find 3 minutes to cook one packet or even two packets are sufficient.  Do check.  Ramen noodles easily cook further after the actual cooking time.



Easy Ramen Shrimp Vegetable Bowl

Inspired by this recipe, Mixed Vegetable Shrimp Delight

  • 2 packets instant Ramen noodles, skipping the flavor packet
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth (or more as needed)
  • 1/2 head of cabbage, cored and cut into pieces
  • 1 cup baby carrots
  • 1 cup celery, sliced
  • 1 tbsp dry onion flakes
  • 1 tbsp dry garlic flakes
  • 1/2 lb frozen shrimp in its shell, (you can use fresh peeled or unpeeled)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Place the Ramen noodles in a bowl.  Add water enough to cover the noodles.  Microwave for 3 minutes for 1 or 2 packets.  Do not overcook.  Drain and set aside.

Place the vegetable broth in a large skillet.  Allow for it to boil.  Add the cabbage, carrots and celery and braise them till they are cooked but not soggy.  Add more broth if needed.  Add the onion flakes, garlic flakes and the shrimp.  Allow the mixture to further heat, adding just a bit more broth if needed, to cook the shrimp.  Again do not overcook.

Arrange the Ramen noodles into four bowls.  Distribute the vegetables and shrimp among the four bowls.  If you want it more a soup add more heated broth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment