Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Slow Cooker One Pot Pierogie Meal



One pot meals are the rage nowadays. Who wants to wash several pots and pans. This recipe is a one pot dish and also a dump it and forget it at that cooked in a slow cooker.

Pierogies are usually bought frozen in boxes like the Mr. T's brand or at church fundraisers as homemade ones you freeze for future use. The latter was what I used for this recipe. They were prepared by the ladies of our church under Sharon Torick's leadership.

I have baked them before, here and also sauteed them in a skillet with butter. In both cases I had to thaw the pierogies even those I buy homemade which I freeze since I buy truckloads of them.

In this recipe I dumped the frozen pierogies without thawing that I bought from our church in my crockpot. I added other ingredients for an easy one step one pot meal.

I was very pleased with the results. The pierogies held its form and had that pillowy texture without being mushy. The other ingredients consisting of onions, green pepper and hot dog made it a complete comforting meal. Veggies and meat. Checked.

Try this with fresh frozen or the frozen boxed pierogies and your family will have a comforting delicious meal on any busy day. It works. My husband gave it the thumbs up.

Slow Cooker One Pot Pierogie Meal


18 large frozen pierogies or 3 
dozens small ones (I used homemade ones with potato cheese filling)

2 cups vegetable or chicken broth

1/2 to 1 stick butter

2 green or red peppers, sliced

1 large onion, sliced

1 package hot dog or sausage, cut to bite sized pieces


Place all the ingredients in a crock pot.

Cook for 3 hours at high or 6 hours at low. I cooked mine in an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.





No comments:

Post a Comment