Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Vegan Air Fried Green Tomatoes



Crrrunchy! Delllicious! OMG goodness. Should I add healthy.  Oil free, dairy free. I am singing my song of praise for these air fried green tomatoes.

After several attempts creating a batter for the green tomatoes from our garden, I finally found one that made my day.. My picky taster, my husband, who is the obsessive grower of these tomatoes gave these air fried green tomatoes two thumbs up. He loved it especially with the sauce.



After researching the internet, I found a site which suggested using cornstarch instead of flour to help absorb the moisture from the tomatoes. I think this is the key to the success of this batch I made in terms of texture and taste. I had coated the tomatoes before with cornmeal but found the taste too strong.

I added the spices directly into the cornstarch. I found that cumin was needed which I added but it is just my personal preference. You can add whatever spice or herbs you want. I used plain almond milk instead of vegan egg substitutes like flax seed or chia seeds in water. Almond or any non dairy milk is convenient and does not give a pasty result while doing a good job in making the Panko crumbs adhere to the tomatoes. Btw you can check this same site for a more decadent alternative to Panko crumbs, potato chips!

I am falling in love with my air fryer, a gift from my friend, Seville during our mini reunion with our former office mates in the Philippines. Thanks Seville!

The very hospitable Seville at her huge kitchen, scene of  many memorable parties and reunions.

Nini and France, my two other former office mates in the Philippines, who came for the mini reunion this past August at Seville's place. Look at those delicious Maryland crabs being packed as our baon to take home with us.




 Vegan Air Fried Green Tomatoes

Inspired by this site.

  • Green tomatoes
  • Cornstarch
  • Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin
  • Almond milk or any non dairy milk
  • Panko crumbs

Cut your  green tomatoes into slices.

Into a small bowl, add the cornstarch. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin into the cornstarch and mix well.

Set a station with the seasoned cornstarch in one bowl, almond milk in another, and Panko crumbs in a third bowl.

Dip each tomato slice in the seasoned cornstarch shaking off any excess, then dip it in the almond milk. Again allow any excess milk to drip then dredge the tomato in the Panko crumbs patting them down to make the crumbs stick.

Place the tomatoes in the air fryer basket in single file.

Air fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 8  minutes.

Serve with the sauce.

Sauce

  • Vegan mayo or Vegenaise or your homemade vegan mayo
  • Sriracha to taste
Mix the ingredients.












No comments:

Post a Comment