Thursday, September 27, 2018

Slow Cooker Cauliflower Sausage Casserole






My son in law is into the ketogenic diet so I substituted cauliflower for the tater tots in this Pioneer Woman's casserole recipe. I had the original dish with the tater tots at the monthly senior luncheon at our church made by Dee and it was delicious.

I substituted plain 2% milk for the half and half among other things. I also used the slow cooker approach instead of baking the dish. I just dumped the ingredients and forgot them. I used my Crock Pot brand casserole slow cooker but any slow cooker will do. The result was not as pretty as the original and looked more like a hash because of the curdling of the milk and cheese but the casserole turned out to be delicious. It got two thumbs up not only from my son in law but also my picky taster, my husband. They were happy so was I.



Slow Cooker Cauliflower Sausage Casserole


  • 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 1\2 cup 2 % milk, note 1
  • 1\4 tsp seasoned salt
  • 1\4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • Black pepper to taste
  • 2 red or yellow or green pepper, diced finely  
  • 1 lb Italian sausage, casing removed and cut into 1\2 inch pieces, note 2
  • 8 pieces American cheese slices, note 3
  • 1\2 lb Mexican blend cheese, note 4

Spray the bottom and sides of the slow cooker and place the cauliflower florets at the bottom, 

Mix well the next 8 ingredients in a bowl and pour into the cauliflower in the slow cooker.

Add the sausage.

Add the cheese slices on top.

Cook at high setting for 6 hours. I cooked mine in Crock Pot brand slow cooker casserole for six hours at high setting. I wanted the cauliflower to be soft not crunchy.

Notes:

1. You can use 1 cup half and half and 1\2 whole milk in combination for a richer casserole.

2. You can use spicy bulk breakfast sausage. They will be softer in texture.

3. You can use 2 cups cheddar cheese.

4. You can use 1\2 cup pepper jack cheese.






No comments:

Post a Comment