Thursday, January 24, 2019

My Especial Enchilada Red Bean Chili



On days like this past sub zero weather it is nice to cozy up to something that gives you warmth and comfort. Try this recipe and then go back to your favorite book and favorite blanket. You might even enjoy the gloomy weather.

I had this big can of red enchilada sauce in my pantry for months and one lazy day I decided to use it to prepare chili using leftover meat I had in the fridge. I wanted something quick and dirty. When I added the sauce in the crockpot and tasted it,  I was surprised it was not tomato based in taste but something very strong like you would find in an authentic Mexican sauce. I decided to add a can of stewed tomatoes and that did the trick. It imparted a sweet taste while leaving that authentic Mexican flavor. I also added honey to further tone down that strong tasting stuff in the enchilada sauce.

I decided to read the label to see what is in this enchilada sauce. The reveal is not in the English list but in the Spanish one. The main ingredient is not just any red pepper but guajillo chiles or peppers which I have used before in this. No wonder it tasted familiar.

Overall the resulting chili got two thumbs up from my picky taster, my husband. I would use this sauce again for that "what was  that" Mexican something, something it gives to the chili. It made for one spectacular chili.




My Especial Enchilada Red Bean Chili

  • 1-28 oz can red enchilada sauce (I used Pueblo Lindo brand or any with guajillo chiles or peppers)
  • 1-14 oz can stewed tomatoes 
  • 1 to 2-14 oz can(s) red beans, drained 
  • 1 onion, chopped 
  • 4 stalks celery, sliced
  • 1 cup cilantro, chopped 
  • 1 cup vegetable broth or water 
  • 2 to 4 tbsp honey or to taste 
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 cup leftover meat (chicken, beef or pork), skip to make it vegan and add more red beans

Place all ingredients in the crockpot and cook for three hours on high or six hours on low setting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment