Saturday, September 7, 2019

Chickpea Santorinis





I had the Fava Santorinis at Mykonos Grill, a Greek Restaurant located at Rockville, MD recently during a visit with my friends Bob and Seville.  It was an appetizer highly recommended by our waiter and it did not disappoint. It was made of fava beans pureed and topped with olive oil, lemon, chopped onions and parsley. It was fabulous and has that certain taste I attributed to green onions which set it apart from other bean dip I have had.

I decided to make a chickpea version that was oil free.  It gave me the same satisfaction as what I had at the Mykonos Restaurant  which made me want to do the Greek happy dance. The green onions gave that "what is that" taste as I had guessed.


Fava Santorinis at Mykonos Restaurant.


Chickpea Santorinis

  • 1-14 oz can chickpeas, drained saving the juice
  • Juice of 1\2 lemon
  • 1\4 tsp garlic powder or more to taste
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • White parts of 3 stalks green onions, chopped, saving  green part for garnish

Place all the ingredients in a blender and mix till smooth. Add a few teaspoons of the chickpea juice to achieve the consistency you want. 

Garnish with the green part of the chopped green onions. Serve with pita bread triangles.



No comments:

Post a Comment