Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Instant Pot Vegan Tom Yum Soup








I love Tom Yum soup. It is for me the ultimate comfort food. I particularly like the one that is served at the Thai restaurant, Green Mango, in Monroeville, PA. It has just the right amount of heat and coconut milk in it.

Since I cannot go to Green Mango every time I have a craving for this delicious soup, I searched the internet for ways to prepare it.  I wanted a recipe that is simple that does not need a special trip to an Asian store. I found this site that uses the Instant Pot, my new kitchen toy.  I tweaked the list of ingredients. I made it vegan by not using chicken. I skipped any ingredient like lemon grass that I ordinarily do not have on hand.  Here is my adaptation. It is good!

Instant Pot Vegan Tom Yum Soup


Adapted from this site

Ingredients:


  • 1/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 3 tbsp ginger, finely minced
  • 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch thick sticks
  • 2 cups chopped cabbage
  • 8 oz sliced mushrooms
  • 3 green onions stalks, sliced 
  • 4 dry chili peppers, cut in half
  • 4  cups more vegetable broth
  • 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
  •  juice of one half lime
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce or soy sauce to taste

For serving: cilantro, lime and sriracha and more fish sauce.


Using the Sauté setting, heat the vegetable broth in the bottom of an Instant Pot. Add the diced onion, and minced garlic and ginger. Sauté until onions are translucent.

Add carrots, cabbage, mushrooms, green onions, dry chili peppers, broth, coconut milk, lime juice, and fish sauce.

Place lid on Instant Pot and turn to the “Soup” setting and set the timer to one minute. Be sure the vent is on the sealed position.

When the timer goes off, quick release the pressure using the venting position.

Serve hot topped with cilantro, a squeeze of lime, a drop or two of Sriracha and more fish sauce to taste.




No comments:

Post a Comment