Wednesday, March 17, 2021

st therese the little flower abandonment pray share chat

 The theme for today is abandonment.  The narrative is based on one portion of the three part series of talks on St Therese of Lisieux Life of Prayer given by Lori McMahon and Susan Muto of the Epiphany Academy of Formative Spirituality at St Bernadette Parish Monroeville PA in October 2016.  PLUSRichard Rohr  Reflection on Love for 3/17/2021.



1.  Calm Challenge | Day 5 - YouTube





2.  Meditation music to accompany the narrative part.

Beautiful Relaxing Music • Peaceful Piano Music & Guitar Music | Sunny Mornings by @Peder B. Helland - YouTube


3.  Narrative

The following slides on "Living in Appreciative Abandonment". came from the last portion of a three part series of talks on St Therese of Lisieux Life of Prayer given by Lori McMahon and Susan Muto of the Epiphany Academy of Formative Spirituality at St Bernadette Parish Monroeville PA in October 2016.  


  







4. Prayer

THOMAS MERTON'S PRAYER OF ABANDONMENT

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and that I think I am following your will does not mean I am actually doing so.

But I believe the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all I am doing. I hope I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you will never leave me to face my perils alone.



5.  Richard Rohr medication 3/17/2021

Richard Rohr's Daily Meditation

From the Center for Action and Contemplation

 
Image credit: Dorothea Lange. (1936) "Bum blockade." All heading north. South of King City, California. Difficult to get a record of this movement because these men wouldn't be photographed as a result of Los Angeles police activity (detail), photograph, public domain.
 

Week Eleven: An Expanding Love

 

Loving the “True You”

 
 
 

I very much enjoyed my time with Bishop Michael Curry, the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, when we worked together on the Reclaiming Jesus project and when I had dinner at his house in New York City. He reminds us why we must accept God’s love for us before we can love another:

I’ve come to see that the call of God, the love that bids us welcome, is always a call to become the true you. Not a doormat. The true you. Not an imitation of someone else. The true you: someone made in the image of God, deserving of and receiving love.

There is a Jewish proverb, “Before every person there marches an angel proclaiming, ‘Behold, the image of God.’” Unselfish, sacrificial living isn’t about ignoring or denying or destroying yourself. It’s about discovering your true self—the self that looks like God—and living life from that grounding. Many people are familiar with a part of Jesus’s summary of the law of Moses: You shall love your neighbor as you love yourself [Mark 12:31]. Yourself. Loving the self is a required balance. If we fail in that, we fail our neighbor, too. To love your neighbor is to relate to them as someone made in the image of God. And it is to relate to yourself as someone made in the image of God. It’s God, up, down, and all around, and God is love.

Sometimes we can only recognize God’s love for us through the love we receive from another person (whom God has loved well). The important part is that the flow of love gets started. Bishop Curry continues: 

The ability to love yourself is intimately related to your capacity to love others. The challenge is creating a life that allows you to fulfill both needs. . . .

I’ve seen it happen enough times to be confident in saying it. Perhaps loving others saves us from the confusion, the frustration, and ultimately the neurosis that comes when we try to center the world around ourselves. Or perhaps it allows us to step outside the self enough to see ourselves with some distance, for a better perspective on what’s missing. Or maybe when loving ourselves is hard, practicing loving others strengthens the muscle enough to turn the force inward. . . .

Love is a commitment to seek the good and to work for the good and welfare of others. It doesn’t stop at our front door or our neighborhood, our religion or race, or our state’s or your country’s border. This is one great fellowship of love throughout the whole wide earth, as the hymn goes. It often calls us to step outside of what we thought our boundaries were, or what others expect of us. It calls for us to sacrifice, not because doing so feels good, but because it’s the right thing to do. . . .

God’s love is everywhere, in all things, and that includes you.

 
 

Bishop Michael Curry with Sara Grace, Love Is the Way: Holding on to Hope in Troubling Times (Avery: 2020), 95–97, 23, 49.

Image credit: Dorothea Lange. (1936) "Bum blockade." All heading north. South of King City, California. Difficult to get a record of this movement because these men wouldn't be photographed as a result of Los Angeles police activity (detail), photograph, public domain.

6.  Happy birthday Sue



7.    our father. song

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O2lgVpwqD1c





No comments:

Post a Comment