Friday, April 16, 2021

Vegan Cauliflower Walnut Bolognese

 




We just came back from Orlando Florida where we stayed at the World Center Marriott Hotel, the biggest Marriott hotel in the world.  We attended the Dance Team Union Competition where my daughter Bettina's Point Park University Dance Team participated.  

The hotel is actually a resort with swimming pools, mini golf link, a golf link and other facilities. And of course it features various places to eat, namely  the Central Pantry, Sports Bar, Starbucks, Pool Side Restaurant and the Ciro Urban Italian Place.  In this latter restaurant, I tasted the best Bolognese dish from my husband's plate.  I had it again two days later.  




I decided when I came home to develop a vegan version of my new sauce craving.  I chose to use my reliable cauliflower walnut meat recipe as the meatless alternative to the ground beef used in the recipe.  Most vegan recipes utilize lentils but I will be demonstrating the use of the cauliflower meat for our Plant Based Pittsburgh group in May and I wanted to show that this meat alternative is versatile enough for Italian dishes aside from the Mexican type of dishes it is usually used  for.  I wanted to test that the spices used in the Cauliflower Walnut recipe will not detract from the Bolognese sauce.  I found out they enhance it! 

Here is the recipe I developed.  Enjoy.


Vegan Cauliflower Walnut Bolognese


  • 1/2 recipe of cauliflower walnut meat (recipe below)
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed (optional)
  • 3 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 tsp soy sauce
  • 28 oz. canned diced or crushed tomatoes
  • 1 cup oat milk
  • 1/4 -1/2 cup red or white wine (optional)

Place all the ingredients in a skillet and simmer till the flavors blend. 
 
Sprinkle with dry basil leaves  or fresh basil leaves.

Serve over pasta of your choice.


Cauliflower Walnut Meat
Makes about 5 cups

Adapted From the website Pinch of Yum

cauliflower florets from 1 head of cauliflower
2 pieces chipotle from can
2 cups walnuts
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. (You can skip this step if not baking).  
  
Place all the ingredients in a large food processor. If you have a medium sized one, do it in two batches. Pulse till the ingredients are blended and the mixture is mealy in texture. Transfer the mixture into a parchment lined pan and spread the mixture.  Bake for 30 minutes and stir half way.  (You can skip the baking step).

No comments:

Post a Comment