Monday, October 27, 2014

Single Serve Microwave Pumpkin Mac and Cheese





When I told my daughter that I have a recipe for Pumpkin Mac and Cheese, she told me right away that she was afraid that if she made it she would devour the whole recipe.  I decided to post this recipe I developed which utilizes the proportions of the ingredients in Chocolate Covered Katie's healthy blog for Pumpkin Mac Cheese and adapted them to make a Single Serve Microwave version. 

This will be helpful not only for my daughter who can prepare the recipe right at the microwave at her office where she works but more importantly for my students at Indiana University of Pennsylvania who stay in dorms where the only cooking appliance they are allowed to use is a microwave. 

 For myself, I am hooked on preparing single serve dishes and desserts.  I am now cooking just for my husband and myself on weekdays.  I always end up eating the rest of a full recipe for a dish.  I always intend to eat the rest as leftovers the next day and the next.  Unfortunately, I have to admit I do not have self control when it comes to eating what I like.  I prepared this dish for four and almost ended up eating the whole thing.  It is that good. 

The pumpkin gives the dish a smoothness which makes it enticing to the tastebuds.  The one serving recipe can be eaten without the pumpkin but eating a decadent dish is always forgiving when it is incorporated with a healthy vegetable.  Plus the taste as I mentioned is addictive.  That said make it a single serve.

You can prepare a big batch of the pasta ahead of time (see how to prepare big batch pasta in the microwave in this blog) and just get the amount you need for a single serve.  But from my experience, this is a really that good and addictive save yourself the temptation and prepare the noodles for one serving.  You see I am looking out for you too. 

By the way, my 15 month old granddaughter and her mom both love this when I brought a big batch version which I almost devoured myself. 

Single Serve Microwave Pumpkin Mac and Cheese

(Adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie)  

 Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup dry elbow macaroni
  • 2/3 cup water (more if you need to extend the cooking time and most of the water is gone)
  • 2 tbsp pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
  • 1 tbsp + 2 tsp milk of choice (I used 2 %)
  • 1 tbsp cheese or cheese alternative (I used one slice Kraft American Cheese)
  • 1 tsp Smart Balance spread (or other alternatives)
  • garlic powder to taste
  • salt and pepper to taste
Place the dry elbow macaroni and water in a large (16 oz) mug.  Microwave for 6 minutes with stirring every 2 minutes.  (I used full power in a 1100 watt microwave).   Add a little water just enough to cover the pasta if all of it evaporates before the last minute of cooking.

Add the rest of the ingredients to the cooked macaroni and microwave for 1 minute.  (I used 100 percent power at 1100 watt oven).  Stir and enjoy. 







No comments:

Post a Comment