Monday, September 21, 2015

Slow Cooker Chicken and Broccoli Pasta with Healthier Creamy Sauce






I was shopping at Sam's Club and I had a taste of Zatarain's Chicken with Creamy Sauce which they were providing for the shoppers to sample.  I really liked it.  I decided to come up with a healthier version of the creamy sauce and below is my attempt to do so without sacrificing the delicious taste of what I had at Sam's Club.  I made it also more convenient by doing a slow cooker version of the chicken and creamy sauce.  The broccoli and pasta are cooked separately and added at the end of cooking the chicken and sauce.  I used low fat cream cheese but if you prefer you can use instead cream or half and half.  The number of calories per serving was 447, which is decent for a complete dish of pasta, vegetables, fat and protein.  A side of green salad can complete the meal.


Slow Cooker Chicken and Broccoli Pasta with Healthier Creamy Sauce

6 servings

Ingredients

  • 1.5 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 chicken bouillon cube
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 4 oz low fat cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 12 oz broccoli florets, cooked
  • 8 oz pasta ,cooked according to package directions (I used elbow macaroni)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Mix all the ingredients in the slow cooker EXCEPT the Parmesan cheese,  broccoli florets, pasta, salt and pepper. Cook at low setting for 6 hours or at high for 3 hours.  I cooked mine in an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.  At the end, add the Parmesan cheese, broccoli and pasta and mix them with the rest of the ingredients.  Add salt and pepper to taste.







No comments:

Post a Comment