Saturday, October 17, 2015

Chia Coffee Cardamon Bliss







I like to call this dessert or morning delight of a dish as my Three C's for  Chia, Coffee, Cardamon.  I had this craving for a coffee flavored pudding something along the line of the one in a tiramisu.  So I decided to replace half of the milk with brewed coffee when I was preparing this blissful dish.  It still needed some more flavor aside from the almond extract and I thought of the wonderful flowery but delicious flavor of cardamon.

This is my first experience with the superfood, chia seeds.  I have read of its high calcium, omega 3 and protein content.  When I was reading one of my favorite health oriented food blogs that I used as reference to prepare this, Detoxinista, it cautioned that it lowers the blood sugar as well as the blood pressure and to be aware of this when eating it with ones medications for these two health concerns.

It does thicken the pudding even with only 15 minutes of refrigeration.  It is neutral tasting like quinoa thus ideal as a base for desserts.  It retained its seed quality and did not turn mushy giving the pudding some interesting texture.  It is a very rich, thick dessert and this recipe can serve two people satisfactorily especially coupled with fruits or your favorite cookie.

Chia Coffee Cardamon Bliss

2 servings
  • 3 tbsp chia seeds
  • 3/4 cup non dairy milk
  • 3/4 cup brewed coffee
  • 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup or other sweetener
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1/8 tsp cardamon
Mix all ingredients in a container with a lid and shake to thoroughly mix the ingredients or you can stir the mixture with a spoon.  Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or even better overnight if you can wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment