Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Potato Spinach Burger







As I continue with my plant based approach to eating, I was looking for an alternative to a bean burger.  I saw a recipe from the instructables website which I decided to try.  I happened to have cooked extra potatoes with a slow cooker dish I just prepared and I had some frozen spinach I wanted to use.  I felt that this might be the change from the usual burgers made from beans.  The list of ingredients was short and the procedure was simple.  I decided to use my homemade onion soup mix.  I added cumin for extra oomph.

I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the soft texture of the inside of the potato spinach pattie enclosed in the crispy cornmeal coating.  This texture made the burger moist without being unmanageable.  It kept its form as I chewed on the homongous sandwich made by layering lettuce, tomatoes and pickles and smeared with catsup and some plant based mayo.


Potato Spinach Burger

(Adapted from the instructables website)                             

  • 2 large potatoes, cooked, peeled and mashed                
  • 8 oz frozen spinach, thawed and liquid squeezed out
  • 1 tbsp homemade onion soup mix (recipe below)
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Combine all the ingredients except the cornmeal together using a masher and fork.  Shape the mixture into 8 round patties. Dredge each pattie in cornmeal.  Bake the patties at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.

Homemade Onion Soup Mix

Adapted from the heavenly homemaker website)

  • 2/3 cup dried, minced onion
  • 3 tsp parsley flakes
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp celery salt
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper
Mix all ingredients in a jar and then shake the jar.  Always shake the jar before each use.  

No comments:

Post a Comment