Sunday, October 25, 2015

Quinoa Cinnamon Coconut Parfait





Every morning I really do not know what I will want for breakfast.  It could be savory or sweet.  This morning I was craving a breakfast fare that was protein packed and catered to my sweet tooth.  I satisfied it with this concoction that I whipped up after three attempts combining flavors and plant based milk.  I could not stand almond milk as is.  I could with other flavors like coffee as in the recipe I posted in this blog. Vanilla extract which I added in another attempt made the mixture bitter for some reason.  Finally I found the cream from the canned coconut milk which I have refrigerated for sometime worked wonders to the quinoa, cinnamon and agave extract mixture.  It was just the right milk to add for texture and for my taste.

The cinnamon and agave nectar gave the quinoa its sweet taste while the coconut cream gave it its thick creamy flavor.  One can use any fruit to layer the quinoa mixture with and I opted for fresh bananas and I topped it with a maraschino cherry for taste and visual appeal.  I can have this every morning instead of oatmeal to which I cannot have too much of due to my arthritis.  Once again quinoa which has complete protein came to the rescue which I consider a wonderful blessing as I forge ahead with my plant based approach to eating. Try this for a change not only for breakfast but for a wholesome delicious dessert.


Quinoa Cinnamon Coconut Parfait

1 serving   (note 1)                                                                         

1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 tsp cinnamon or more according to taste
1/4 tsp agave nectar or more according to taste
2 tbsp coconut milk (cream part) (note 2)
1 maraschino cherry
1 banana sliced or any fruit slices
1/2 tbsp more coconut milk for topping


Mix the four ingredients together.  Place half of the mixture in a glass or parfait container and top with half of the banana slices then follow with more quinoa mixture and then with the other half of the banana.  Top with 1/2 tbsp more coconut milk (cream part) and maraschino cherry.  

Notes

1.  The picture shows 1/2 a serving rather than 1.  

2.  Place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight.   Invert and open the can after cooling.  Carefully pour off the liquid leaving the coconut solid fat.  



No comments:

Post a Comment