Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Slow Cooker Creamy Mustard Chicken and Sausage



I just came back from a trip to Las Vegas and stayed at the Caesar's Palace hotel.  The buffet in this hotel is legendary for its size and the long wait.  We paid an extra twenty five bucks to escape the long wait which was more than two hours at peak hours.  We still waited a good fifteen minutes or so.  Was it worth it?  I expected too much from the hype my son-in-law built up so I would just say it was OK but I will not do it again for 75 dollars.

Caesars Palace buffet

Mussel dish I fell in love with

There was one dish that I liked best at the buffet and it was the mussel dish the exact name I do not have.  It was creamy and I tasted a hint of mustard but I could be wrong.  I did not have mussels but I have chicken so off I went searching in the web for a creamy mustard chicken dish and landed at the bakeaholicmama website with a recipe I adapted this dish from. I could not get that creamy mustard craving off my mind.

I did not have chicken breasts and substituted chicken legs for it.  For the sausage I used jalapeno cheddar smoked sausage.  I also did not use grainy mustard but just plain yellow mustard you used for your hot dogs. And yes I decided to go low brow and used beer instead of wine. I increased the proportion of mustard to the rest of the ingredients and also that of the salt as was suggested in the original recipe.

This dish is creamy from the cream cheese and tangy from the mustard.  The smokiness of the sausage helps enhance the overall flavor of the dish and the jalapeno in the smoked sausage gives it a hint of spiciness.  It is a good and delicious dish to serve to your family and excellent for potlucks.  Who could resist chicken and sausage swimming in creamy sauce?

Slow Cooker Creamy Mustard Chicken and Sausage

Adapted from bakeaholicmama

  • 1 1/2 lb chicken legs
  • 4 pieces jalapeno cheddar smoked sausage (or any smoked sausage or kielbasa), sliced
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup beer or wine
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp yellow mustard
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 onion, diced
Mix the cream cheese, chicken broth, beer, garlic, mustard and salt in a bowl till well blended.  

Place the chicken legs and sausage pieces at the bottom of the slow cooker.  Place the sauce mixture and diced onion on top of the chicken and sausage.

Cook in the slow cooker for 6 hours at low setting or 3 hours at high.  I cooked mine in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.

You can add frozen green peas at the end of cooking if you like.  Serve over rice or pasta.  Garnish with green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment