Thursday, August 3, 2017

Vegan Crab Cake with Spicy Brown Mustard Vinaigrette



I went to eat at Eighty Acres Farm to Table Restaurant in Plum, Pennsylvania about two Sundays ago and I had their fabulous crab cakes during Sunday brunch.

Crab Cakes served at Eighty Acres Restaurant Plum, PA.


I could not take that wonderful taste off my mind and was set to make crab cakes when I heard Giant Eagle had the canned crabs on sale.  Alas I missed the sale. I decided to try making the so called Mock Crab Cakes I have heard of that were made of zucchini and obtained a recipe online which I based this vegan version on.  I tweaked it using using the suggestions of one of the reviewers plus substituting some ingredients with vegan alternatives.

I used chia seeds in water to substitute for the one egg called for in the original recipe. I also replaced the butter with coconut oil.  I also added herbs and spices to obtain Italian Bread Crumbs which I did not have.

I really liked the whole grain mustard vinaigrette used in the crab cakes at Eighty Acres Restaurant so I again searched for something I felt was close.  I made it healthier by decreasing the oil in the recipe but you can stick to the original if you want.


Vegan Crab Cake with Spicy Brown Mustard Vinaigrette


Crab Cake

  • 2 1/2 cup zucchini, unpeeled and shredded
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 1 cup or more panko or bread crumbs
  • 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp dry parsley leaves
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp dry oregano
  • 1/4 tsp dry basil
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted or any vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds in 3 tbsp water
  • 1/4 cup flour

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.

Sprinkle some salt to the zucchini and place in a colander together with the onions.  Allow the water from the zucchini to drain into a bowl for about 30 minutes.

Mix the panko crumbs in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients except the coconut oil, chia seeds in water and flour.

Combine the zucchini, onion, the panko crumbs with the herbs and spices, the coconut oil and chia seeds in a bowl.  You may add more panko crumbs if it is too soft to form into patties.

Form into 8 patties. Dredge in the flour and place in the prepared pan.

Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes flipping half way through.

Serve with the Spicy Brown Mustard Vinaigrette (recipe below) over some greens.

Spicy Brown Mustard Vinaigrette

  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 2 tbsp vinegar
  • 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard or whole grain mustard
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 2 tsp agave extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper

Mix all the ingredients in a small jar and shake.


No comments:

Post a Comment