Monday, November 6, 2017

Slow Cooker Chicken Guisantes (Green Peas)




Filipinos love to keep a few certain canned goods in their pantry. They are items that are hard to get or keep fresh in our country where most households did not have refrigerators when their favorite traditional recipes were first developed. Among them are evaporated milk, condensed milk, fruit cocktail, pimientos and green peas or guisantes.

This recipe is very popular in the Philippines because it is easy to prepare and masarap or delicious. The star of the dish is green peas or guisantes. I used canned ones but you can use the frozen type. This vegetable imparts a certain sweetness to the dish that distinguishes it from other similar tomato based Filipino dishes like chicken afritada.

I adapted a recipe I found from this source and tweaked it by using the slow cooker and adding vegetables like carrots and potatoes aside from the green peas.

My family loved this when I served it this past weekend. I just dumped the ingredients in the slow cooker and went about sweeping accumulated stuff from my kitchen and living room floors lest my toddler of a grandson choke on them. I do love guests coming to my house for this reason. It motivates me to clean and sweep. Ha, ha.


You will enjoy this easy no fuss recipe, guaranteed. Have plenty of cooked rice on hand.

Slow Cooker Chicken Guisantes (Green Peas)


Adapted from this source

  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tsp vinegar
  • 1 chicken bouillon
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 bay leaf
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper from bottle or chopped bottled pimiento
  • 2 lbs chicken thighs (I used boneless and skinless)
  • 3 potatoes, peeled and cut to one inch pieces
  • 1 cup baby carrots
  • 1- 14 oz can sweet peas, drained or frozen sweet or green peas

Place all the ingredients except the green peas in the crockpot and mix. Add the peas last so it would not get mashed during mixing or add it at last minutes of cooking. Then slow cook for 3 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low.  I cooked mine in an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours.

Serve over hot rice. Heavenly good!


Big fat burn 





No comments:

Post a Comment