Saturday, November 4, 2017

Slow Cooker Embutido or Filipino Meat Loaf





Embutido is the Filipino version of meat loaf. Typically it is made from pork and stuffed with hard boiled egg and vienna sausage or hot dog in the middle. I am using ground beef in this recipe and skipping the stuffing. But you can view how Panlasang Pinoy stuff the roll in their video.

I could not help picturing in my mind my late Tita or Aunt in English Awing making tons of embutido rolls during the Christmas holidays. She did it for my late parents who gave them to loyal customers of our gas station as thank you gifts paired with macaroni salad. Aren't these customers lucky?

My Tita Awing's real name is Aurora Cortes and she was a public school elementary teacher.  I used to tug along with her to her school or other chores she was doing when I was young.  Come to think of it this is very much what my granddaughter Maddie does with me these days.  One time I held on to a skirt of a lady thinking she was my Tita Awing. That made her laugh but I was embarrassed. I literally clung to her everywhere. She loved to cook just like my other aunts, thus it was great joy for her to help my parents during the holidays making the embutido and macaroni salad.

My Tita Awing

I took over this job of hers later when I grew up and one time I lost a band aid from my finger into the meat mixture as I was blending it. I was worried sick it went with one of the rolls given to the customer. Luckily it got into a batch for our own use. So be sure to remove band aids or loose rings from your fingers when mixing the ingredients. Ha, ha.

Otherwise this is an easy recipe made easier using a slow cooker. Traditionally the rolls are wrapped in cheese cloth or aluminum foil and steamed. I decided to forego this wrapping step since the slow cooker I am using do not respond well to aluminum being used in the metal bowl. You can however do so if using a ceramic crock pot. You will have better shaped rolls.

Typically we eat embutido sliced and warmed with rice and topped with catsup or cold between two pieces of bread. Eating this either way these past few days brought back memories. Btw my husband, my picky taster, gave this two thumbs up and he is non Filipino. I assure you will love this and will make your own memories eating it with your family.  Note this freezes well too.

Slow Cooker Embutido or Filipino Meat Loaf


Adapted from Panlasang Pinoy

  • 1 cup baby carrots 
  • 1 green pepper, sliced coarsely
  • 1 red pepper, sliced coarsely or two pieces roasted peppers from bottle
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 1 cup sweet pickle relish
  • 1 1/2 cups raisins
  • 2 lbs ground meat (I used ground beef)
  • 2 raw eggs
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 2 cups bread crumbs
  • salt and pepper to taste


Place the carrots, green pepper, red pepper and onions in a blender or food processor and pulse till finely chopped. You can also do this step by hand.

Transfer to a large bowl and add to the mixture the rest of the ingredients except salt and pepper. Mix by hand till blended. Season with salt and pepper and mix.  You can microwave a small portion and taste if you have enough salt or pepper.

Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker and shape into a cylinder.

Cook for 3 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low. I cooked mine in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.  Using a large spatula transfer to a serving plate.



No comments:

Post a Comment