Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Memories by the Tocador (Dresser)

 

One of my favorite memories from my childhood occurred by the so called tocador or dresser beside my bed in our house in Malabon.  This furniture was designed to fit the corner of the bedroom I shared with my sister.  It featured a huge square mirror measuring around four feet by four feet. with a table and escaparate or curio cabinet on the right and drawers on the left.  A small bench was also furnished for it.

I slept relatively early then in my twenties since I was tired from the traffic I had to contend with to and from work.  I slept definitely earlier than my late brother, Anton, who used to come late from his class and later from his first job.  Almost all the occupants in the house were asleep when he came home and he wanted to relax a bit before he watched television.  What he did was, sit in front of the dresser and talked to me while I was asleep.  I might have opened one eye to acknowledge his presence but I usually did not talk to him.  Sometimes he just sat there.  He used to kid about how I love to sleep and how.  One time I brought home a photo of me sleeping while I was on vacation in Baguio with friends from the University of the Phil graduate school.  He said that photo was so me.  

I also woke up late on days when my niece Jona and nephew Ditos, kids of my sister Bebeng, arrived at our house with their mother who worked at our gas station.  They yearned for a playmate to play house with them and they would find me still in bed.  I remember them feeding me with their pretend food while I continue to sleep.  

There is a saying that those who wait also serve.  I am changing that to those who sleep also serve.  With my presence though asleep kept my late brother company and provided him a welcome when he came to a very quiet house when he came home.   I also served as a live though immobile, life size Barbie doll to my niece and nephew.

No comments:

Post a Comment