Thursday, April 25, 2024

Sweet goodbyes

One could not predict at times how one would react to situations.  My reaction to certain life moments has surprised me.  One instance is moving on or saying goodbyes.  One such time is leaving a job I loved at IUP where I taught for 12 and half years.  I knew it was time and the right one came when I felt I had to attend a grand reunion with high school classmates in the Philippines and do it without hurry like I did in previous years.  My classmates were getting on in years with several of us passing in greater percentage than other batches.  I was swamped with doing last-minute things in the retirement process to feel anything,  But one memory came up lately when I had to say goodbye to a volunteer job I have grown to love also, namely teaching CCD or faith formation to young children at my parish. 

My memory went back to one beautiful day in December 2014.  I was walking through the tree-lined campus to turn in or get the results of an online quiz at the testing center.  I was soaking in the beauty of the campus in the warmer-than-usual December day amidst the bustle of the students walking for their change of classes. I had mixed feelings knowing I only had a few more days till I retired. I was very touched by the sadness on people’s faces at the center when they learned that I was retiring. After all the center was one place I frequented in the past few years when I switched to online quizzes.  It did surprise me that this walk was what I found the sweetest of this segment of my saying goodbye to IUP. 

Memories of December 2014 came back in March.  I just decided it was time to say goodbye to teaching CCD.  I have found a very capable person to take my place and he agreed willingly.  I was happy and relieved.  When I went home I was surprised I sobbed when it dawned on me I just have a few more weeks of CCD teaching. I did not expect it.  After all no more teaching evenings when I could barely stay awake.  I should be celebrating not sobbing.  Everything turned sweeter, not frustrating. I saw things more rosily and gratefully.  Students could read at last. Still rambunctious  They all became endearing in their own way. Brandon got all the answers surprisingly especially since he struggled with his shyness at the beginning of the school year. Brian was so innocent and deliberate in his answers that came slowly but with much depth. Philosophical Bianca who comes up always with the deepest insight said Jesus is present in our hearts when were talk about his presence everywhere. Ceci was so reliable and smart. Aiden Mr enthusiasm. Wanted to please. And then the others who I will get to know better at the end of the semester.  

Some moments are hard to forget and that is because of how they make you feel.  These two days are up there.  Sadness and sweetness blended. And the surprise they carried.

No comments:

Post a Comment