Saturday, November 15, 2014

Banana Bread from Homemade Yellow Cake Mix



 
 
Nothing warms the soul better than a slice or two of banana bread with a cup of coffee.   The first snow fell two days ago around the areas where I teach. Yesterday, I was pleasantly surprized to see snow on the roads as I drove closer to IUP in Indiana County, Pa since we did not get too much of it, in fact just a drizzle, in Monroeville where I live.  
 
On such a cold, dreary day, it is always comforting to wake up to a breakfast featuring ones favorite banana bread perhaps slather with butter or cream cheese coupled with the aroma of Hazelnut flavored Keurig coffee. With this in mind, plus I have to bring some goodies for a meeting the next day,  I baked 5 mini loaves of banana bread after I came home yesterday afternoon from work. 
 
Thanks to the homemade cake mix I made several weeks ago I did not feel overwhelmed to bake though I was pretty tired being the end of the working week.  The homemade cake mix eliminates the measuring of four ingredients of a yellow cake mix namely, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Plus the mix contains half Splenda and half sugar to lower its carbohydrate content.  It also does not have any shortening or powdered milk like the store bought ones.  In other words, I could control the amount of these two ingredients also.   I did have to figure out how much oil, eggs and milk to use to approximately equal the results given by the store bought yellow cake mix when preparing it to make banana bread. 
 
Here is the quick and easy recipe I came up with.  The resulting banana bread was very light and moist and of course deliciously satisfying and comforting.  It will definitely brighten your morning.
 

 

Banana Bread from Homemade Yellow Cake Mix

 
 

Ingredients:

 

  • 3 and 3/4 cups of Homemade Yellow Cake Mix (recipe for 4 batches and recipe for one batch can be found in this blog)
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup milk (I used 2 %)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 ripe bananas, mashed
Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.  Spray 5 mini loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside.
 
Place the cake mix in a bowl and make a well in the middle.  Add the oil, milk, eggs and vanilla in the well and using a whisk or a electric mixer blend the dry and wet ingredients together.   Add the mashed bananas to the mixture and continue to mix till the bananas are incorporated with the rest of the ingredients. 
 
Distribute the batter into the 5 mini loaf pans.  I filled each mini loaf pan halfway but you can use more batter if you like.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment