Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Brown Rice Biryani



One of the bright spots in Monroeville PA is the Udipi Indian Restaurant. It is a strictly vegetarian place frequented by people from neighboring places in the suburbs of Pittsburgh.

One of my favorite things to eat at this place (second to what I call pregnant bread) is shown below. It is their take on biryani rice. I have been buying prepackaged ones at the Patel grocery store which I sometimes finish in one seating. I felt it is time for me to make my own. 


Here is the recipe I came up with using ordinary brown rice instead of the traditional jasmine variety. I used my rice cooker to prepare the dish for convenience and also to satisfy my curiousity if it would work. I made this without oil to make it healthier and plant based. This is pretty close to what I have been eating straight from the package. 

Brown Rice Biryani

  • 2 cups brown rice
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/4 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/8 tsp tumeric
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 1 tsp dry garlic flakes
  • 1/2 tbsp dry onion flakes
  • Salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in rice cooker bowl. Cook in rice cooker using brown rice setting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment