Thursday, October 13, 2016

Slow Cooker Tomato Cauliflower Quinoa Bowl






This is an easy stew that is perfect when you are running around all over town for your errands, a meeting and exercise at the gym. It is a slow cooker version of two very similar recipes I have posted in this blog,  Mediterranean Chickpea Ragu and Vegan Pantry Friendly Black Olive Stew.  I used kidney beans instead of chickpeas and introduced celery and cauliflower as parts of the main ingredients.  I also skipped the olives which were in the other two recipes this one is based on. It results in a less salty healthier version and still as delicious.  I made sugar optional since it depends on your taste and the brand of the ingredients you used.  

My picky taster, my husband, ate this and gave a thumbs up and so did my daughter who I shared it with. They ate it over white rice but I prefer to eat mine over quinoa for added protein.  Here is the busy day friendly recipe.

Slow Cooker Tomato Cauliflower Quinoa Bowl

(inspired by this past post)
  • 2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 1-15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1-15 oz can corn, drained
  • 1 green pepper, cubed or 2 pieces roasted pepper from a jar
  • 1 stalk celery, sliced
  • 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces 
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tbsp dry onion flakes
  • 1 tbsp dry garlic flakes
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce 
  • 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp dry oregano (optional)
  • 2 stalks green onion for garnish (optional)
  • 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker except for the quinoa and cook for 5 hours at low setting, and 2 hours at high setting. I cooked mine in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker for two hours at slow cooker setting.  Serve over the cooked quinoa.


No comments:

Post a Comment