Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Slow Cooker Eggplant Ragu




I had a large eggplant that I wanted to use in the fridge. I did not feel like using the oven nor the stove.  I just wanted to dump the eggplant into the slow cooker together with some ingredients from the fridge and pantry and forget it. I also wanted it to be vegetable laden and vegan with a lot of sauce that would be a good quinoa guzzler. I wanted it to be a simple dish with as few ingredients as possible.

This dish was so simply prepared, I did not even use any salt or pepper.  I relied only on the green chilies in the can of diced tomatoes with green chilies that I used for the kick.  As for the saltiness I used miso paste as a side condiment.

I anxiously waited for the results and I was not disappointed.  I ate this dish for breakfast, lunch and supper for the next few days after I prepared it.  It was an ideal quinoa guzzler with very high nutritional value and equally high flavor.


Slow Cooker Eggplant Ragu

  • 1-10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1 large eggplant, cut into large cubes
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 3 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 1 green or red or yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch slices 
  • miso paste as side condiment 

Place all the ingredients except the miso paste in the slow cooker.  Cook for 3 hours at high setting or for 6 hours at low setting.  I cooked mine in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.

Serve with miso paste as a side condiment. This can be served over brown rice or quinoa.



No comments:

Post a Comment