Thursday, May 4, 2017

Slow Cooker Creamy Lemon Chicken





This was inspired by a baked casserole dish prepared by Marion during a farewell party hosted by Anita and John for our dear friend Maureen who was retiring from her work after several decades.





I never got to get the recipe from Marion but she mentioned she used chicken breasts, the zest and juice of lemon and cream of chicken soup.  To have an idea on the proportions I googled for recipes on the web including those from Taste of Home, Food.com and Allrecipes.com and came up with a simplified vegetable laden one.  I used cream of celery soup since that was what I had.  The result of the simple recipe was a delectable, creamy chicken dish with a refreshing dash of flavor from the lemon.  You will like it. You will devour it is the more appropriate way to put it.  So delicious. I almost forgot to mention I used a slow cooker to cook this dish which is usually baked and guess what it worked! Just as creamy and gooey.

Slow Cooker Creamy Lemon Chicken

  • 2 lb chicken breasts (I used two large whole ones)
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 can cream of celery or chicken or mushroom soup (I used cream of celery)
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 cup carrots, cubed
  • 1 cup celery, sliced
  • 1 cup potatoes, cubed
Add salt and pepper to both sides of the chicken breasts.  Place them in the slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients.  Mix the ingredients so the breasts and vegetables are covered by the soup mix.  Slow cook for 3 hours at high or 6 hours at low setting.  I cooked mine in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.


2 comments:

  1. Can I squeeze more lemon juice and top it with lemon zest just before serving or will it be too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Top it with lemon zest and serve with lemon slices for individuals to add if needed.

      Delete