Monday, July 17, 2017

Slow Cooker Chicken in Milk



One of the websites I read, The Kitchn, considers this the best chicken recipe of all time.  I would say however it is second to chicken adobo. But then being Filipino I am biased.

The original recipe is attributed to Jamie Oliver who used a whole roasting chicken which he browned first in butter or oil then baked with the milk, herbs and spices in the oven.

I decided to use the slow cooker and skipped the searing step of the chicken thighs I used. I just dumped them with the rest of the ingredients in the slow cooker. The combination of the ingredients look strange but it works. You obtain succulent chicken pieces swimming in irresistible sauce.

I added potatoes and carrots to the list of ingredients so the sides are taken cared of. A green salad and crusty bread can complete an elegant dinner with this easy but delicious dish.

Slow Cooker Chicken in Milk

  • 3 lb chicken thighs, skin removed
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp dry sage
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 10 cloves garlic, unpeeled
  • Zest of 2 lemons
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
  • 2 cups baby carrots
Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook for 3 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low. I cooked mine in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.




No comments:

Post a Comment