Sunday, November 26, 2017

Slow Cooker Corn Ball Stuffing





Emma with Nikki's son-in-law holding Nikki's corn ball stuffing during their family picnic at Johnstown, PA.

From left: Emma, Rose and Nikki at the Sister's Place luncheon 2014.

We had this for thanksgiving and everybody in my family loved it. The recipe is based on two sources, one of which was the one given to me by Nikki, a cousin of my friend Emma. She gave it to me verbally when we were at the Sister's Place luncheon in 2014. Her recipe calls for baking so I used another source to guide me in the slow cooker approach.

I first had them when I attended Emma's family reunion in Johnstown, PA and fell head over heels over them. The corn lends a sweet taste to the stuffing which adds richness and something different from the ordinary that you concoct from the store bought stuffing package.

It is very simple to make even using a loaf of bread instead of boxed or packaged bread stuffing. The use of a slow cooker makes serving it warm on a busy thanksgiving day more convenient. Just cook it and forget it and if you have a slow cooker that has a keep warm mode you are good to go. One less dish to warm up.

When I tasted the balls at the end of cooking, I felt it needed added oomph and decided to sprinkle garlic powder after cooking. I was happy with just the right enhanced taste.

Slow Cooker Corn Ball Stuffing


Adapted from this source and Nikki's recipe

Ingredients

1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1- 17 oz. can cream-style corn
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. poultry seasoning (recipe of homemade one below)
1- 16  oz loaf of bread, cubed
2 beaten eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
garlic powder to sprinkle at end

Directions

Combine all ingredients, except the butter and garlic in a bowl. Mix together. Shape into 8-9 balls. Place in crockpot. Pour butter over. Cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours. I cooked mine in an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting. Sprinkle garlic powder after cooking.


Homemade Poultry Seasoning


From this source

Ingredients


Makes 6 1/4 teaspoons

2 tsp dried sage
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried marjoram
3/4 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Mix all the ingredients.


No comments:

Post a Comment