Thursday, November 30, 2017

Vegan Cauliflower Sweet Potato Meat Loaf





I was in a plant based meeting last night and two members expressed their desire to have a good meat loaf recipe that does not crumble and also that can be shaped into a chicken leg or something. In other words, a mixture that is pliable and yet hold its structure upon baking.

I have prepared meat loaves, meat balls etc using walnut cauliflower as the meat substitute (see this vegan Filipino embutido or Filipino meat loaf recipe and the links herein for the other recipes using this meat alternative). Since I have success with this duo, I decided to use it for this meat loaf recipe which aims to be close to the classic American meat loaf.  I actually based the recipe on this meatball one and just added the cauliflower.  I also adjusted the ratios of the other ingredients as to make the mixture pliable and yet sturdy upon baking.

Since I am watching my salt intake, I skipped adding salt or Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce but you can if you want.  However, I was pretty happy with the result without them.  The nutritional yeast which has no salt at all gives that umami kind of salty taste plus that cheesy parmesan flavor.  Feel free to add more spices which I had to be wary about since I am having surgery next week. They warned against certain spices.

I like the texture of the loaf.  I was able to cut the meat loaf into slices without it crumbling.  It is moist but not too pillowy.  You can put the slice on two pieces of bread and it would hold its form.  It was pliable before baking, I did not attempt to shape it to a chicken leg. I will leave that to Linda one of the members who has that as her goal. For Nancy, I hope you like the texture.  No, it would not disintegrate as your  other recipe.  Do play herbs and spices to suit your taste. Whew! I think I found the recipe for the classic American meat loaf.




Vegan Cauliflower Sweet Potato Meat Loaf

  • 1 tbsp chia seeds soaked in 3 tbsp water for 10 minutes
  • 1 cup walnuts
  • 1/2 cauliflower head, cut in quarters
  • 1/2 cup panko crumbs
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1 tbsp dry minced onions
  • 1 tsp dry minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp dry oregano
  • 1 cup approximately baked sweet potato, mashed
  • black pepper, fresh ground according taste

Preheat oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Place all the ingredients in the blender and pulse till well mixed.

Transfer in a small loaf pan and bake for 20 minutes.


1 comment: