Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Yes yes on a no no day




Thanksgiving is coming up reminding us to be thankful for our blessings. As the cartoon above illustrates things to be thankful for can come as surprises discovered along the way. We just need to have an open heart to see them.

Friday last week started for me as a no no day using the title of a children's book about a girl who was having a very bad day.

The day started with bad news. My MRI could not be done as scheduled since the MRI machine of the company, IRG Monroeville, who was to do it broke down. I needed it for a Monday appointment with my spine surgeon who I just saw for the first time the day before. Without it any action namely a timely surgery if needed would be delayed. I am leaving for the Philippines on January 28 next year and adequate time is needed for recovery.

I called my chiropractor who wrote the scrip for the MRI to check if it could be transferred to the UPMC Imaging Center in Monroeville. Upon calling the latter I found out their MRI was also down. Later I found out my chiropractor could not use UPMC after all to prescribe an MRI.

I called the spinal surgeon’s office if they can order the MRI that Friday.  No go. It would take time for insurance to clear it. I decided to just keep my appointment with them for that coming Monday even without the MRI.  This was deemed to be impractical by the receptionist since its purpose was to view the MRI. I broke down and begged for something to be done since the surgeon was not coming back till December first from his vacation. I told the receptionist that meant I would suffer through the holidays with pain and also hanging in the air as to what would happen next for me.

The receptionist decided to ask for options at the surgeon's office and came up with an alternative nobody had thought of, namely to find out if I could have my MRI at another branch of IRG, the imaging place that had a broken one in Monroeville. The day ended with me finally getting the MRI at their IRG Cranberry branch.

That night I checked my voice mail and found a call from the UPMC Imaging Center in Monroeville following up on my inquiry I made previously. For some reason their thoughtful gesture made me stop and realize the effort of the other people that had helped to turn the no no day to an oh yes day. I was able to find a soft spot in my heart to relish and be thankful for what I would have taken for granted. After all everything in life is how you view it. And at times it is just a matter of taking ones time to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment