Thursday, November 23, 2017

Vegan Pineapple Penne Salad


This is a vegan version of a popular salad that we love in the Philippines, Macaroni Pineapple Chicken Salad, a recipe of which appeared in a past post. I simply skipped the chicken and used vegan mayonnaise instead of the regular one to make it plant based.  I assure you that you will not miss the chicken nor the real mayonnaise.

Since I did not have macaroni I instead used penne and it turned out to be a good move. The mayo and pickle relish seemed to cling more on the penne because it does not curve like macaroni plus it has ridges.

I could not stop eating this since I made it and neither did the people in my family.  These picky tasters did not even miss the chicken.

Before I forget, Happy Thanksgiving.  Thanks for reading my blog.

Vegan Pineapple Penne Salad


Inspired by this recipe 

  • 1 lb penne 
  • 1-20 oz can  pineapple chunks or tidbits including juice (do not drain!!)
  • 1 cup sweet pickle relish
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
  • black pepper to taste

Cook the penne according to package directions and drain.  Mix all ingredients together including the juice from the  canned pineapple.  Mixture will appear watery at first, but the pasta on standing will absorb the juice.  This salad must be chilled and refrigerated overnight for best result.  It cannot be frozen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment